Church of the Holy Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Books on the Holy Light and the Church by Mother Ewyllyn S. Ashington

Go down

Books on the Holy Light and the Church by Mother Ewyllyn S. Ashington Empty Books on the Holy Light and the Church by Mother Ewyllyn S. Ashington

Post  Ewyllyn S. Ashington Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:53 am

Meditations of Sister Ewyllyn.

Trivia

The "Meditations of Sister Ewyllyn" was the first published book by the then priestess Ewyllyn Sparrowbrook, which was written with the help of various clergymen, though in particular Brother Cassius. Initially it was in order for the otherwise helpless priestess to find a way to express herself, even if rendered unable to write on her own.

The book itself bears traits of repetition, various claims that are not supported by actual fact, and appears more philosophical and pondering than actually saying much. Considering the author that is perchance not so strange.

Nevertheless, the priestess discusses various topics such as the state of being blind, how various senses take over when sight is lost, and how a blind person may yet perceive the Holy Light. Other topics worth mentioning may be her self-discussion regarding life and death, and how both impact a person's personal life.

Seemingly a number of Church neophytes and regular citizens have found the book appealing, or simply didn't know what it was they purchased.

Preface

Meditations

By

Sister Ewyllyn Sparrowbrook

As diligently written down on behalf of the Blind Sister by Brother Cassius.

May the Light ever bless and keep those, who perceive the Light unhindered.

Chapters

On Sight

Be not deceived by your mortal sight, my beloved brothers and sisters. The Light is so much more than what the bare eye can behold; of this our very Connection to the Universe beareth witness.

Consider when thou feelest this Connection, when the Glory of the Holy Light Eternal shineth through thee, and thou perceivest how every living being is connected in the same way.

With our eyes we perceive the world and all that inhabiteth it, but we believe in a power that is unseen, a power which we first believe in through the power of emotion; for it is certain that it be our emotions that confirm our very own existence.

True, let there be none who deny that forth from our hands may pour forth Light Divine, which may be beheld by those present; yet we shan't deny that even the smallest of gestures may sway the hearts of many.

For it is a certainty that even a kind word, a smile upon our countenance, a simple embrace may light up a soul in manifold ways.

And thus we may perceive that the Light worketh not only in the plain, but also in the hidden; and this may only be felt by those it affecteth.

And to those deprived of sight, it manifesteth itself in other ways. Therefore let none doubt, this day or those that may come after, that the Light Eternal shineth even to those who perceive it not with their eyes.

For the Holy Light shineth upon each and every soul by which they be illuminated by whatever cause, which may influence such.

On Hearing

When thou ponder this, ponder also what thou canst perceive when meditating and praying in the tranquility of the Light. And know, my beloved brothers and sisters, that ye may come to realise the immeasurable beauty of the Light itself, and the splendour of life.

Close thine eyes and listen with thine ears to the sounds innummerable that echo around thee. Hearken to the beating of thine heart, counting the beats, and be uplifted by the knowledge that through thine veins floweth the essence of Life. Hearken ye also to the noises of the beasts of this world; all from the lowly insect to the thundering roar of the great lion that roam the lands; from the meek fowl to the ferocious wyrms that inhabit the skies.

Recognise and mind the truth of this that just as thou be not alone, even when locked up in thine chamber, just the same may the Light Eternal never be quenched by loneliness.

For let it never be doubted that one who perceiveth only darkness around himself, he may yet shine the Light with such intensity that he may banish all shadow around him.

Be mindful also to the wisdom of those who have come before us, that is of what hath been spoken and written, explaining that to the faithful the Light may in some cases speak.

Whether it be with words or not, I know not, and far be it from me to say that it be so, for I only know what I have experienced in my hours of praying and meditation. But truth be told, and assuredly written as to count but for myself, I have felt that through the Connection that the Light may speak words of comfort and tranquillity without the means of a mouth and a tongue.

Judge me not already, my beloved brothers and sisters, and hearken firstly before passing your judgement upon my words. For to one deprived of sight, hearing is but one of the senses to replace that which was bereaved.

And I confess openly and without shame, but with the utmost faith in the Holy Light Eternal, that the Light may communicate to us and through us and within us, for what mortal power or will may deny something as divine as the Light Eternal?

And then ye may ask, What shouldst the Light speak unto a person? What words might the Light impart upon a soul?

That we matter, one as many; and that though one may sway the hearts of many, how many more hearts by a group of faithfuls? If we, together as one, strive to change if but a fragment of the world itself, would we not perceive a fragment of success for our labour?

I am inclined to think, Aye.

And remember alway, my beloved brothers and sisters, that as assuredly that the Light may speak unto us, so can it speak with words unspoken, and cause us, without our knowledge, to impart words most wise and charities most kind to those who are truly in need of them.

That is the way of the Light; that is the work of the Light.

Sight without Sight

When thou hath first taken these steps, and acknowledged the truth thereof, then thou mayest open thine spiritual eyes to a greater understanding of the Light and how thine connection to the Universe beareth much more potential. For just as the Light may shine brightly before the eyes of those who can see, so can the Light be visible in its own way to those without sight.

This, my beloved brothers and sisters, will hopefully make ye understand the depth of the Holy Light, and its bright illumination. For as I have testified in the words before these, the truth of the Light and the mysteries it containeth are innumerable and manifold.

But fear ye not, my most beloved brothers and sisters, for with tenacity, an open heart and mind, and the willingness to excel and grow, we may ascend to a higher understanding of so many things. Not only the things of the Light, but also of the world. For truth be told and confirmed, we cannot hope to change but a flake of the world without knowing how to sway the hearts of those we seek to help.

But think not! my beloved brothers and sisters, that ye should use this for power over your fellows, and to reap glory and heap it upon your own names, for that is not our way!

Vain power and seeking of riches exhausteth the souls that crave them; and when we depart this world, as be the way of life, we leave as we came: Empty-handed and naked. And we turn to dust and bones, whereas our souls ascend into the Eternal Light where we shall assuredly reap what we have sown, and enjoy the Eternal Rewards in the Paradise Beyond.

This, the unbeliever speaketh, be the dreams of fools to comfort those with no hope.

Far be it from me to believe the unbelievers to be right, for the very notion seemeth so unbelievable to me. The very fact that I may perceive the brightest of illuminations without the means of mortal sight be proof enough for me.

And I hope and pray that it be the same case for ye, my beloved brothers and sisters.

On Knowledge

In the darkness there came a Light, and this Light cast back the darkness, and with darkness ignorance fled alike.

And the Light gave knowledge, and this knowledge was thus imparted to those who were drawn unto the Light.

Before we learn, we know little but what base things were prescribed unto our soul, for let none doubt that the babe knoweth whence to receive the milk of its mother; this be evident in both that of sentients and the beasts of this world.

And when we reach the years of maturity, that is when we can perceive right and wrong on our own, we continue to learn many new things. This be as old a knowledge as the foundations of the world itself.

When ye do grow in age, do be mindful of what ye learn, for it may well be put to good use in life. It be not a simple task to outline every single experience and wherefore and how they may affect thy changing of the world for the better, for this book could never contain them all!

Yet true knowledge is to know what one knows, and also acknowledging the limit of the selfsame. For it be said that the humble soul may become a fountain into which the Holy Light poureth its divine wisdom.

Such cases may be plain to the one that experienceth that, but as I myself have experienced, few seldom notice how the quiet nudging of the Light Eternal may guide a soul to say the right word at the right time.

Have a care, though, my beloved brothers and sisters, that ye not anxiously await the Light's guidance with such fervour that ye forget entirely to do the Light's will. For he that waiteth for everything and doth not proceed to do what is right, how shall he hope to turn but a sand corn on the path before him?

From this ye may discern and acknowledge that wisdom cometh both from watching and doing, for some things may only be observed, and some may only be understood when brought into action.

And to those without sight, hearing may replace the sight needed to learn, though far from all cases. For how canst thou teach a blind one how to behold the grain growing on the field?

To this the sense of feeling and touching replaceth sight, but so may the acknowledgement of the words spoken of how grain groweth, and when believed.

From this we may discern that learning cometh not only from hearing and seeing alone. And even then may we learn from our mistakes, for that be the basis from which we grow.

Verily like unto the grain itself, my beloved brothers and sisters.

On Life and Death

The flower groweth upon the field, sprouting up through the soil from a tiny seed. It bloometh in its splendour until the time cometh that it must vane and die. Thus it be with all living things in this world. Thus it be with humanity and most races, even those blessed with longevity.

Generations come and pass away. Already behind the elderly man standeth the son ready to take over. And thus it goeth on and on, ever giving a new soul a chance to make either great good or great evil, as according to the choices that this person maketh.

Therefore, speculate on why it must be so; why all life must begin and end. If there be no death would there be a need for a Paradise? If the span of life be toil upon toil, would there not be need for rest eternal? Great clamouring and great exclamations of heart-felt sorrow may soar upon the winds with immense dismay, for thus be how we in our mourning may behave.

And as the Light is my witness, I too have felt this sorrow that pierceth the heart and causeth such anguish that I thought my heart would be torn asunder by its very power, and that I would cease to be by the very sheer force thereof.

Yet with the compassion bestowed upon me by friends, allies and relatives, I overcame this crushing emotion, which seemeth to have power immeasurable to lay waste the souls of men.

However, as I testify, the compassion that others gave freely healed mine heart, albeit scarred for all time. But some scars, though they never heal, give strength in their own way, as according to their nature, and as according as to how we deal with them. For within the words of comfort, I was reminded of the Light's grace, and how it draws unto itself the souls of the departed, giving them a place of refuge in death: Paradise. And according to their deeds and upstanding, bestow upon them rewards eternal.

I say openly now that it was the death of my progenitor, of whose love given to my mother became the very cause to my existence. It was also in that love that I found comfort, for love is the greatest and the most dangerous emotion that a human can experience.

Among some it be said, Love conquereth all.

And by others, Love conquereth even death itself.

And I pondered these words, and perceived the truth of them. Then I told mine soul and mine heart, Be still, for father is now in Paradise, he knoweth pain and hunger no longer, and he be not ailing by any disease or thirst.

Yet even for all these truths, the question remained, Wherefore must we experience the death of loved ones and friends, even of the stranger? Wherefore cannot we be spared such a gruelling anguish and tearing of our spirit?

For if all lived eternally, there would be no more room in this world for us all, and the Light would be nullified.

Nullified? may be the question ye would be asking me. How? might be the next enquiry.

For when we live eternally as the Kaldorei once did, and still carry with us the flaws of humanity, what great evils and terrible deeds would we not have wrought with our hands? And in our greed, would we not have forgotten love, respect and compassion?

But assuredly we would have been as the Kaldorei! ye may protest.

True, I shall reply, if our ancestors had been bestowed the same. Yet they did not receive, and I am inclined to think that it were for a good reason, circumstance notwithstanding.

And as the wise men say, my beloved brothers and sisters, live not in Might-have-been and What-if, for those exhausteth the soul as many a thing may, and with it come dreams that have no meaning and cause no growth. And accept therefore that ye shall die when it be the time for that, yet be thankful for life and its opportunities.

Serve the Light and thy fellows, and thus thyself. And take heart in the knowledge that thine toil shall be rewarded. In the afterlife thou shalt reap what thou hast sown, and enjoy the eternal rewards in Paradise.

Epilogue

There is a treasure in all of us, and that treasure is for us to use, as according to the Light's grace. We may give of it as we please, but should have a care that we alway have enough to give. In this be mindful of the flaws of outright altruism and outright hedonism.

Choose the middle-way. Give as thou receivest. That is, do not only give, and do not only take. And remember to strive to do good even in the face of evil. Remember to shine in times of darkness. Remember to lend strength to friends, allies and relatives. Remember also to receive in turn the same.

For we give what we ourselves desire, when we are following the path of the Light.

I pray that these humble words may be a guide for thee, be thou seeing or not, hearing or not, speaking or not.

And I pray most fervently that thou shalt acknowledge the truth that even if one of thy most used senses is taken away from thee, thou shalt not despair, but take heart that thou canst still shine the Light for all to see, seeing as well as blind.

For this lowly priestess, whose sight was bereaved by fire coerced by foul arcane magicks, found her way back to the Holy Light, even when all seemed lost and futile, and even though her life seemed faded away.

For in her darkness the Light shone as never before, and illuminated a new path upon which to tread.

That Light I testify unto thee. That Light I serve as I serve my fellow man.

Beloved brothers and sisters, I wish ye grace, prosperity, strength, love and all good things.

I wish for ye to shine the Light.

Together as one.

- Sister Ewyllyn Sparrowbrook.

Last edited by Ewyllyn S. Ashington on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Ewyllyn S. Ashington
Ewyllyn S. Ashington

Back to top Go down

Books on the Holy Light and the Church by Mother Ewyllyn S. Ashington Empty Re: Books on the Holy Light and the Church by Mother Ewyllyn S. Ashington

Post  Ewyllyn S. Ashington Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:57 am

On Emotion and Existence.

Trivia

The "On Emotions and Existence" was the second published book by the high priestess Ewyllyn Sparrowbrook. It was regarded by some as a second attempt for the Mother to express herself via literature, which may well be true.

As it was with the former, the second book itself bears traits of repetition, various claims that are not necessarily supported by actual fact, and appears more philosophical and actually quite theological (for a change). The latter is considering that it deals, this time, with the virtues as well as touching subjects such as altruism and hedonism, the text might just be proper enough as such.

The Mother discusses various topics such as the connection each person shares with the universe, how it can be affected, affect others' connections, how the same can affect the world in its entirety.

However, as opposed to her first book, the second book seems much less mentioned among people for whatever reason.

Preface

On Emotion and Existence

By

Mother Ewyllyn Sparrowbrook

As diligently written down on behalf of the Blind Mother by Brother Cassius.

Chapters

On the Connection

Forasmuch hath been written concerning the nature of the Light Eternal, so must we likewise bear in mind the reason for it being able to shine through us and within us, for let none doubt that it be through the connection to the universe that the Holy Light may pour its unfathomable illumination, which may calm even the most distressed soul.

And as it hath been made clear in innumerable books afore this one, the first step onto the path that leadeth to enlightenment, it is to acknowledge the existence of the self, of the soul and of the thought-bringing mind, which all are connected - for upon acknowledging that thou hast a connection to the universe, thou acknowledgest that thou existest. All life is connected thus, my beloved brothers and sisters.

The verification of the self being existent hath its proof in the presence and the experiencing of emotion. Some emotions may affect our very soul and other our very body, and as with aught else the emotions may affect in the good way and in the bad way, all according to the nature of their creation.

For lo, a man giving unto another man a splendorous gift may move the receiver in such a way that he rejoiceth greatly, filled with happiness.

And lo, a man chastising another man by letting his hand punish the flesh of the other, the receiver feeleth the pain of the chastisement, and it causeth him sadness or anger.

If we were not, we would feel naught.

And when thou bearest this in mind, consider what thoughts and emotions course through thy body and mind, and perceive, Thou Art. And thou canst feel joy, sadness, love, hate, contentment, discontentment, pleasure, anger. On and on do the many words proceed for the multitude of states of mind and sensations a person may experience.

I think that it would be impossible to list them all, much less give name to them all.

I digress.

All these emotions that we may experience can be affected by outer factors, such as other people, places and things of various natures, and in that we find the evidence that we would only be susceptible to such due to a connection to the world around us.

That is when thou shouldest also acknowledge that the world that thou treadest upon is but a smaller piece in the grander puzzle, for lo, the world hovers in the Great Dark as a bubble of air in a body of water. Thus the universe itself is likewise connected, and thus thou mayest acknowledge that just as thou art connected to the universe, so is it the same with your fellow man.

Bear in mind, then, these truths that spring forth from this realisation,

All life is connected to the universe.

All life hath emotion.

On the Affection

Now that we have established that thou hast a connection to the universe, and that all life is likewise connected, thus we may meditate on how all may affect all for good or ill, for let it not be doubted that just as an emotion may be good or ill, so can its effects bear fruit that affect good or ill.

For lo, the man that aforehand gave unto his fellow man a splendorous gift, he caused an emotion of gratitude and happiness in the receiver. This gratitude and happiness is a glad emotion, which will echo through the connection of the man to the universe, and it will be mirrored back unto him. Herein lieth the glory of the Holy Light and it is in that emotion and glory that the connection of the man to the universe is strengthened.

That Light that shineth maketh the happiness likewise shine unto the man that gave, and his perception of that happiness that he hath caused in his fellow man unto which he gave his gift will make him equally happy.

There, my beloved brothers and sisters, is the simplicity of how all is connected, for were there no connection the giver would not have perceived the happiness in the receiver.

Yet this is not the end of it on that matter, for in making this happiness spring to life in his fellow man, the receiver hath made a speck of the world a better place, for happiness is an emotion of good things.

How may it be a good thing? thou mayest enquire.

For it is a known thing that when we are glad, all things around us seem fair and meet in our eyes, and when we are filled with happiness, our souls feel lighter as well as our minds. Thus we may conclude the goodness of happy emotions.

Yet there is also the chance of the opposite effect. And on that I shall likewise shed more light upon.

On the Bad Affection

Take heed and pay your utmost attention, beloved brothers and sisters, that ye may understand the danger that be within you, as it is from the time that ye may discern good and ill, and choose between both at your leisure and desire.

The ability to choose between good and ill is a powerful thing, for it may affect a soul, a multitude, a nation, a continent. Yea, it may even affect the world in its entirety. And there are examples in our world where the choice of a single person meant ruin and decay for an entire nation.

It is with a touch of dread and foreboding that I mention the example of the Traitor Prince of once fair Lordaeron, as his choices proved to be the demise of the home land he once held dear. The causes for his fall are theorised on over and over again, and may well never truly be fully discovered. However what remains is the prime example of the power we may have upon the world around us.

For by his actions hath the world witnessed how the choices of a single person can affect the world around him. He chose the darkness, and that darkness he spread about himself, with death and decay, corruption and turmoil. His wrath toward life was thus made manifest, and scars once fair Lordaeron thus to this day.

There are also some who testify that he lost himself as he tried to do good, over-zealous in his endeavours to do thus. And thus he lost sight of his goal, falling into shadow.

O wailing sorrow, O tearing grief, how many paid the price of his folly and his darkness! For unto this day the dead tread the world in the wake of the Traitor's destruction, and fel and loathsome beasts linger in his footprints. Ghosts and spirits of the hapless dead roam the decaying lands.

Thus is the image of what effect the bad affection may have upon our very world!

Pay heed and learn thereof. Do not give in to hatred and dark thoughts, which prompt you to only slay and harm and kill for the sake of your own desire. I implore you, my beloved brothers and sisters. And I warn you also of the dangers that the luring Shadow hath in its nature, for assuredly it promises fortune and power to those that walk its path, but know this:

It eateth ye away from within, contented with leeching upon your life-force, and cheering when ye diminish others and thus yourselves.

It seeketh only to darken thy connection and thy life, and thus the universe. Malign and evil it be.

Do not confuse the anathema of the Light to be that of Fel Shadow, or that of Arcane Shadow. Nay, 'tis truly the opposite of the Light directly, which is strengthened when thou seekest to diminish thy neighbour directly and indirectly. It rejoiceth in misery, sorrow, heart-breaking, war, death, decay and corruption. In truth it truly be the great and terrible Anathema of all that is good, just and right.

Therefore bear in mind the example I have provided unto you, and mind the reason wherefore ye should avoid it, paying heed only to that great and holy Light Eternal.

For that which doth not serve the universe doth not serve thee.

On Hedonism

There be other things, my beloved brothers and sisters, that likewise affect your connection and existence. And in effect it shareth connection with the bad affection that I have aforementioned unto you.

One great folly be hedonism, the utter and complete divulging of pleasure-seeking and self-centring.

For the great folly of hedonism be that it prompteth any to selfishly, and only, to seek to sate the lusts and desires of one's self. And in some cases it may twist a mind to believe that the striving for happiness should only be for oneself.

Its traits may be so many that I doubt that I may be able to fit them all into a single book. But they include the lack of sharing, the desire to only think of oneself, the refraining of helping others in need, and so on and so forth.

When thou feelest the need, nay, the craving to uplift thyself utterly and completely above thine brethren, then thou shouldest with all haste perceive the danger, and correct thy ways. For that which serveth not the universe, the world around thee, it serveth thus not thyself.

But make no mistake for all of us desire happiness, pleasures and many other things - which mortal would not? But when this desire turneth to hedonism and the uplifting of only one's self, then that is dangerous. For tales abound of fat, rich merchants, who in their pride slaughter their fattest calf, and during a grand feast eat themselves to death - drowned in their own vomit, for they were too fat to turn themselves in their drunken stupour, and too overly fed. Forsooth, even eating when their body craved it not for sustenance.

Yet fool ye not yourselves, for even the beggar may turn to hedonism, as well as the most pious clergyman. Its ensnaring and alluring call reacheth any ear willing to pay it heed.

But listen ye not to its call! And mind the truth of these words:

The hedonist seeketh not to change the world around him for the good of all, and thus not himself. He that seeketh only his own cannot change a fragment of anything. What good is he, then? And what good is hedonism?

The Light cannot shine in such people, and they would think in vain if believing that their efforts would have any good effect, much less positive legacies for those that come after.

On Altruism

Just as there be people who forsake others and think only for themselves, then there be also those who forsake themselves and think only of others.

I question ye, my beloved brothers and sisters, how can they hope to grow in the Light?

For when thou givest all and keep none for thyself, wilst thou have anything to give when time hath passed?

Certainly, ye may exclaim, it be better to give than to take, and to that I shall reply:

Aye, when that is required.

But the altruist giveth and giveth till he hath naught to give, and he keepeth naught for himself, nor reapeth he the fruits of his labour. And he taketh not in any of the joy that those he helpeth shine back unto him. For he believeth that he should only give and not take, even unto the emotions of happiness that others may reflect.

Therein lieth his folly.

The Middle Ground

Therefore, my beloved brothers and sisters, choose the middle twixt hedonism and altruism, for by doing so ye balance yourselves in terms of life and fulfilling the purpose of the Three Virtues. For by allowing yourselves to receive, ye shall grow. And by giving, those who receive shall grow in turn. And both ye and your receivers grow in the Light, more of this world shall be made into something good and desirable.

Let none doubt that maintaining a balance is a great challenge, for it may take many years for some to find how to know when to give and when to receive, so that all may benefit thereof. And even unto that there be no firm guide line.

Therefore, beloved brothers and sisters, trust in the Light and its wisdom, for as ye grow, so shall your wisdom grow. And at the same time as ye grow, so shall ye become greater vessels of more Light. And ere ye yourselves may know so, ye shall become bright examples of the Light's ways, and people shall look up to ye and bask in the beauteous illumination that is the Holy Light Eternal.

And it is the hope of this humble priestess of the Light that this shall indeed become the case.

Epilogue

There was a time when none knew the Three Virtues, and scarcely could imagine the effect emotions could have on the world around them. Forasmuch that they may have died in ignorance, some may have yet done the Light's will without any knowledge thereof, for it is within all living beings.

And since it is, thus may it, without our knowledge, influence the pure and just to walk the path of righteousness and goodness, spreading its bright illumination to all they met on their path. For after all, to this day we know of it, and may well have done so for more than the millennia since the Church began to first become truly one. Nevertheless our work must continue, and our emotions have no end, just as it had none in those before us, and in those before them. For thus is the eternal circle.

But I implore thee, dear reader, that thou bearest in mind that just as thou hast emotions and do exist, so do the people around thee, be they of thine own household or the stranger on thy path. Thou feelest, therefore thou art, and therefore art thine fellow men of every race also.

And in light of that knowledge, thou shouldest do all in thy power to spread the Light, for though only those ordained may preach the Light in the chapels, temples and cathedrals, thou art a representative of the Holy Light Eternal.

Therefore let not thy absence of priesthood shun thy tongue that thou keepest it behind thy teeth, but speak freely and openly, with loving-kindness and with the fervent devotion to make better the world around thee and for others - be it with words and actions, for both complete one another.

Do thus to thy dying day and thou shalt assuredly reap great and eternal rewards in the Paradise Beyond. And the world itself shall also benefit from this. Therefore Shine the Light brightly and with neither fear nor shame, and the Light shall shine upon ye.

I pray, my beloved brothers and sisters, that the Light's blessings manifold be bestowed unto you and unto the households of which ye belong, and grant unto you strength, prosperity, grace, happiness and all good things.

May it be so.

- Mother Ewyllyn Sparrowbrook.

Last edited by Ewyllyn S. Ashington on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Ewyllyn S. Ashington
Ewyllyn S. Ashington

Back to top Go down

Books on the Holy Light and the Church by Mother Ewyllyn S. Ashington Empty Re: Books on the Holy Light and the Church by Mother Ewyllyn S. Ashington

Post  Ewyllyn S. Ashington Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:02 am

The Old Ways.

Trivia

"The Old Ways" was the third published book by the high priestess Ewyllyn S. Ashington, which was once again written with the help of various clergymen, though in particular Brother Cassius. However, as opposed to the two former, the third book was written in response to an internal movement that taught that it was not the Virtues themselves that caused people to change the world for the better, but rather the people themselves, hinting that the Light was but a tool rather than a divine power. As can be imagined, this spurred the high priestess to respond with a written work.

The book itself (as indeed the previous two) bears traits of repetition, various claims that are not supported by actual fact, and appears more philosophical and pondering, albeit with a plead for the reader to perceive the Light as divine rather than a mundane tool for any man to use at his will and/or to his own benefit.

The initial response has proved sporadic, however, with few even noticing the book.

Preface

The Old Ways

By

Mother Ewyllyn S. Ashington

As diligently written down on behalf of the Blind Mother by Brother Cassius.

Chapters

Of the Church Prior

There are none, beloved brothers and sisters, that may recall the days of when our first brethren discovered the Light and its many wonders, but suffice it to say they must have been marvelled and in awe by the discovery and splendour thereof.

And it is a certain thing that following the discovery and the endless debates that must have ensued, the tenets were made and the first building stones lain, which would culminate with the Church.

It is a just and meet thing to consider how the days before these have been filled with wonder and awe, and of how jubilant the people must have been, when the Light Eternal was made clear to them; a power divine, an immoveable thing, eternal, graceful.

And with the tenets may well also have come the first priests, those who by the Light's will and guidance, were to be the spiritual guides of mankind and all the other races that would later adhere to the Light's will and doctrine.

Doctrine was thus implemented, for what use is that which cannot be spoken of without the chance of heresy and violent upheaval? Forasmuch as the Light may be a thing of peace, mankind is not, as our continual struggles may bear witness to, and therefore is accepted rule of preaching and the like most required.

These our forebearers delved into the mysteries of the Holy Light, and collected their wisdom into manifold texts, some of which are preserved even unto our age.

Bear in mind, however, that many a great and valuable texts were lost for ever with the fall of the Kingdom of Stormwind and later the Kingdom of Lordaeron, as well as any that might have been preserved within the traitor nation of Alterac and in the once mighty Kingdom of Stromgarde, our joint ancestral home of Human kind.

Yet despite these irreversible loses the knowledge of the Holy Light Eternal remaineth - a vestige of hope and serenity in a war-torn world. For now as then, the populace will and must ever look to the bright Illumination that is the Light, for solace and comfort.

Of the Church Today

Today the Church is embroiled with many a thing, which may occupy its members of any race and gender. And just as the congregation is manifold, so is the opinion of true doctrine and liturgy. Some believe that the winds have come to blow away the aged ways, like a hurricane that sweepeth away old foliage and the like, spreading it hither and thither.

Yet some remain that cling to the old ways, knowing that within the wisdom of those long passed is indeed that of a mountain in strength, and whose roots stick deep into the soil, unmoving and absolute, truthful to its core and piercing any great darkness.

As can be imagined, those that support this new, great wind desire nothing but to create new doctrines to support their claims, and would peradventure even stoop down to take up the old and cast it into the fire, so that it would be for ever lost in the great abyss of forgotten treasures.

They would claim that the Light itself is not divine, but indeed Man himself! As though the Light is but a mere power to be used at will and without respect of its pure illumination.

Heed them not!

For though it may be true that without life there would be no Light, nor can there be any life without the same. For so indeed, 'tis also said, "Without Light there be no Shadow, and without Shadow there be no Light." How then might we combat Shadow without Light if Man is divine and the Light would cease to answer our call as a just vengeance for our unscrupulous usage of the same?

The Old knew how to revere the Holy Light, and wrote unto us just and meet requirements in order to wield it with dignity, respect and consideration. Never once did they write unto us, The Light is but a tool to be used, and Man is a divine being in his own right.

'We need not a new way to look to the Holy Light in its splendour, we require not to change its holy virtues to suit our own needs, we are not to omit any letter from the texts preserved that state unto us that we should wield the Light with consideration.

Of the Holy Light

Beautiful, serene, powerful, just, pure. So many attributes may be applied to the Holy Light, which speaketh to us in manifold ways, each unique as any gemstone of the earth. And indeed the connection within each of us is in its own right an unfathomable thing, likewise unique and immeasurably precious.

For if the Light had not a will of its own, then Paradise in which our treasures are made ready, the eternal ones that we shall enjoy in our most glorious Afterlife, all according to our works, it would all be for naught, a vain thing imagined for vain hope.

Fret not, the Light would not deceive us so, and rest assured that there is no deceit in the Light. For how can that, which is a force of good and justice, be full of deceit and delude us from that which is truth? It would not exist at all if that were the case, and by doing such a foul thing it would erase itself from existence.

How can it be that some believe the Light to be just that, a force merely to be used and one that cannot be that which its own teachings proclaim in aged texts and scrolls?

That which is a paragon of truth, virtue and justice can be naught but what it proclaimeth. And by that fact alone, the Light is virtuous as is shown by the Three Virtues that must govern our daily lives even unto death.

For they that adhere to the virtues shall surely reap eternal rewards in Paradise.

Lessons of the Past

Some would argue that it be within the past that we may find that it was the actions of Man and his devices that saved our People, be it that of the Kingdom of Stormwind or other. And these would claim further that the machinations of Man in his own wisdom were enough to save Humanity from extinction.

I ask ye, then, beloved brothers and sisters, by whose power did they that saved our Peoples bring about such salvation? By whose inspiration wrought they the great machinations that would spark hope and courage in the hearts of Men?

For as history hath taught us, great acts of selfless heroism or great evil hath alway had an inspiration of one kind or other.

And were it not for the Holy Light, the Virtues and all that they teach us would have no compulsion, no desire, no goal, yea, just as it verily be for those, who adhere the call of Shadow.

Manifold are the testimonies, for instance, of soldiery, low and high, that speak of how the holy Paladin defenders invigorated them and inspired them to fight on.

To this some may claim that such is not new, and that inspiring courage in strife is commonplace. True, I may reply, but were the same capable of having their eyes shine with the purest of Light? Did from their hands pour forth the blessed Illumination?

Nay, it did not, save for those of the holy Clerics that fought valiantly during the First War.

The Light hath shown time and again that by its incredible power it may sway hearts that were in a great turmoil.

The Example of the Paladin

In all texts abounding, one of the more recent in terms of years is that which I shall use as an example as to how the Light is more than a mere power. Consider ye therefore the holy texts that exist for usage in the ritual that is the Knighting of a Paladin defender, wherefore it was written by holy clerics who were guided by none other than holy Archbishop Alonsus Faol himself, Light preserve his memory.

And in so doing shall I diligently make plain the meaning of the text and shew unto ye how the Light, being a divine power, is glorified thus and justly accorded more than a tool.

The first line saith thus,

"In the Light, we gather to empower our brother."

Here doth the ritual point to the power from which and by which the congregation of clerics and Knights receive their blessings, and justly grant unto others. For it is a known thing that the power cannot come from our own being in its own right, as we are but conduits of the Glory of the Universe, of the Life of the World around us, which by the Light's grace alone can course through our bodies and moreover be placed upon our brethren.

The second line saith thus,

"In its grace, he will be made anew."

'Tis neither by his own grace nor that of others that the Paladin defender is made anew, for they knew well that the Light provided. The Light may through its divine power cleanse a wound, an heart, a body, yea, verily even a soul itself. Should a man by his own power attempt the same, he would find that his own power achieveth naught, and is therefore incomparable to the glory that is the Light.

The third line saith thus,

"In its power, he shall educate the masses."

It is a known thing that a mother may teach her daughter, a father his son, an officer his soldier, a king his prince. Howbeit a man may only teach so and so many, and would rely most heavily upon his wit and gift of speech to sway the hearts of many. Yet none may sway a heart as a man filled with the Light, that speaketh with the Light's grace, that uttereth words which quencheth the thirst for knowledge as that which is inspired wholly by the Light Eternal. Consider then how holy Lord Uther the Lightbringer could stir the heartstrings of those that hearkened unto him.

The fourth line saith thus,

"In its strength, he shall combat the shadow."

The Light's anathema is the Shadow, verily like unto how the Shadow's anathema is the Light. Therefore it is a self-explained thing that the Light's power is devastating when wielded against the Shadow. And how mighty can the Light judge the Shadow and its damned and misbegotten denizens, kin and adherents. To that I shall readily testify as I have assuredly, as many another devotee of the Light, withstood the powers of Shadow, calling upon the Light to guard my fellows and I. Verily have I alway been answered.

The fifth line saith thus,

"And, in its wisdom, he shall lead his brethren to the eternal rewards of paradise."

Assuredly can no man by his own will, power or desire cause a realm of peace, tranquillity and afterlife to come into existence, for we are mortal and our own strength is only so and so in magnitude, greatness and ability. Therefore it is a vain thing to assume that we thus can cause such a realm to exist by our will alone. Instead our forbearers and ancestors knew for a certain, yea, even unto rightly proclaiming thus, that a Paradise is for those that dwell in the Light and its grace. For it hath been taught from time immemorial that upon our death we shall transcend into a greater existence, one of eternal peace and rewards immeasurable.

We shall assuredly be accorded payment for what we have wrought.

Consider this, my beloved Brothers and Sisters.

Once these hallowed words have been read aloud before the congregation in witness, which bear record when needs be as to the Paladin defender's Knighting, the Archbishop is wont to speak unto clerics, saying,

"Clerics of the Northshire, if you deem this man worthy, place your blessings upon him,"

which prompting them thus causeth them to step forth and by the Light's will and grace, and one shall upon the shoulders of the Paladin defender place a blue stole, whereas the other shall abide his time ere upon the brow anoint him with holy oil, and speak unto him, saying,

"By the grace of the Light, may your brethren be healed."

Assuredly it is plain upon which power the cleric calleth, and whose power the cleric wisheth to bless the Paladin defender. For let none doubt that he speaketh not "By the grace of man, may your brethren be healed." Nay, the Light is invoked and called upon with an hope that its loving-kindness shall reply.

And when that hath come to pass, the Archbishop shall speak again, saying,

"Knights of the Silver Hand, if you deem this man worthy, place your blessings upon him."

And this shall cause two of the Knights to step forth, one carrying a hammer, the other a pair of shoulder-plates; and these things shall have been hallowed afore usage by the Light's priesthood, each praying diligently for it to bless these mighty gifts that are bestowed upon the Paladin defender.

And upon having placed the hammer before the kneeling Paladin defender, the other shall justly and peacefully put the shoulder-plates upon the shoulders of the Paladin defender, and speak, saying,

"By the strength of the Light, may your enemies be undone."

And yet once more it is made plain that the Knights say neither "By thy strength" nor "By our strength." And that is what should be considered and taken into account. They boast not of own strength, neither do they puff up themselves, declaring unto the world that it is thus by their own merits they do safeguard the weak and the innocent. Verily do they beseech the Light for its inexhaustible strength, knowing it alone can grant them that which they need to combat evil and Shadow.

Thus speaketh the ritual of Knighthood that is bestowed upon a Paladin defender; thus be it made plain that the Light is more than a mere tool.

Epilogue

There are men that speak, saying, All that is brought into existence meeteth resistance, and all that breathe shall struggle to do so.

Verily it is so that all that is good must be defended, and knowledge must be vouch-saved from forgetfulness. Therefore have I humbly had these words written that they may testify and bear witness to that even as the Light shineth in the darkness, so too shall tongues speak, ears hearken and eyes perceive that the Light is a divine thing.

And we shall alway bear record that we are mortal beings, made of flesh, prone to fault and but sparks that swiftly are taken away and carried hence. Yet rest assured in the knowledge that all good things that ye wreak with your hands shall not be forgot, but remembered in the Light, which shall verily and assuredly reward ye justly for your deeds.

It is said,

"He hath done the Light's will that changeth but a speck of the world for the better."

Again this testifieth and beareth witness unto my record that we can only do so much in our own strength, but with the Light we can achieve so much more.

Therefore safeguard and vouchsafe and defend at all time that the Light is that which granteth us the power to stir hearts, heal wounds and soothe souls!

Let them speak in vain that say,

"Verily the Light is but a tool to be used for the greater glory of Man, for it be we that by our deeds wreak change with naught save our own power."

They speak verily in vain and in the vanity of their hearts, for they belittle that which granteth them the power to do so. They that speak thus in vanity are prompted and driven by naught save their own desires. They shall verily reap their harvest accordingly, for it be not the goal only that the Light rewardeth, but also by the way it is wrought.

Heed mine words and consider them, I prithee. Honour the old ways and thus also thine ancestors and all the priesthood that was afore thee; they that now dwell in the Paradise Beyond, eternally at peace and justly so.

And heed not the falsehoods of those that speak against the Light's divinity, for they are blinded by their own mortal eyes, and perceive not the beauty that is in the Light Eternal. They are ignorant of its wisdom, relying solely on their own.

Be not as unto them, beloved.

I wish ye grace, wisdom and serenity that the Light alone may bring you.

- Mother Ewyllyn S. Ashington.
Ewyllyn S. Ashington
Ewyllyn S. Ashington

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewyllyn S. Ashington Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:49 am

Trivia

The "Second Book of Meditations" was the fourth published book by the high priestess Ewyllyn S. Ashington, which was once again written with the help of various clergymen, though in particular Brother Cassius.

This book seems to have been inspired by various occurring events at the time it was written, though it would appear that it was written over the span of the aftermath of the Cataclysm and just prior (or shortly after) to the discovery of Pandaria, when comparing the first and second last chapters.

The book itself (as indeed all the others) bears traits of repetition, various claims that are not supported by actual fact, and appears more philosophical and pondering than actually saying much. Clearly a work of the blind high priestess.

Nevertheless, the high priestess discusses various topics such as the state of world today, how people waste time with senseless squabbles, how wars are necessary for preserving ways of life, and interestingly also touching the very confusing matter of people that know how to wield the Light without proper training within the Church. She ends the book with an epilogue, as is customary in her written works.

Whether or not people will notice the book is yet to be determined.

Preface

Second Book of Meditations

By

Mother Ewyllyn S. Ashington

As diligently written down on behalf of the Blind Sister by Brother Cassius.

Chapters

On Today

Our world is shattered, and the lands of the world of Azeroth are groaning in pain, laden immensely with many burdens. So are the many races, each laden with their own share of great challenges and adversity.

It is in the times such as these that each of us are tested, and Light knoweth there be many a thing that are in existence to test both the will and the tenacity of any sapient being. For all that breatheth must struggle to do so, and each that walketh shall find his and her strength to do so taxed. For life is strife with troubles, and all of us shall die and pass on from this world.

All is torn, even our own great and famed city of Stormwind, the greatest Kingdom of Mankind. For, lo, a great many Kingdoms of our kind have been brought low, their populace scattered throughout the length and breadth of Azeroth.

And they have wept tears innumerable over their losses, and rightly so. And even as mine words are being diligently transcribed by my beloved Brethren in the Light, so do I shed mine tears and grieve these many losses.

For as the world around us suffereth, so too do we, beloved brothers and sisters. For if we grieved not, we would feel naught. And likewise, If we felt naught, we would enjoy no pleasure and happiness. It is part of what we are, and as many afore I have testified, a testament to our existence.

Howbeit we may walk in this world, behold the great and horrible damage that hath been wreaked thereon by that horrible and despicable foe that many name the Great Black Foe.

I shall not mention its name, nor shall I grace its being with any good attributes for I would thus dishonour the many that have died in its wretched and unholy flames, which have burnt to the ground many a homestead and many a being.

The Light shall wreak its terrible and righteous justice upon that wretch.

And all the while the task lieth ahead of us to rebuild that which hath been broken and torn, to erect that which hath been made low, strengthen that which hath been weakened.

And in doing so, beloved brothers and sisters, we shall do the Light's work, and in that work shall our descendants give us praise and just appreciation. For if we are judged by any, it be those that come after us. We build for them, just as we build for other future generations.

Yea, it may well be that our names shall wither away and fade into oblivion, and our works shall smolder and fall to pieces without our knowledge, for we shall be gone from hence, removed into the Paradise Beyond.

Nevertheless the Light shall remember, and shall reward us accordingly.

The world is surely in pain, and many a thing is cast down.

On the thought of each Today thou shouldest consider what thou canst do to better the world around thee, for assuredly many a thing needeth to be raised up again. Therefore do thy bit, for thy descendants, for the Light.

On Wasteless Squabble

I bewail the truth that there be some that see fit to impose their vain desires on others in these times of need and bewilderment. And they prey like unto wolves upon their brethren, sowing seeds of distrust and discord amongst those who should stand together as one.

To think that they should be so short-sighted is incomprehensible to most, but they that know the vanity that many hearts may harbour do but shake their heads, and say rightly,

"The many are led astray by vain things, each focussed solely upon his own needs and desires, going hither and thither as the wave upon the shore, waxing and waning as the tide."

I bewail their heedless hearts, and I bewail their unloving demeanour. How lost are they! How lost!

And thus they go, hither and thither, spreading lies to promote themselves and speed their own agendas. They are a selfish lot, and the Light shall reward them accordingly.

In their wake of lies and deceit, they also spread dissension and discontentment. Ingrates and undesirables flock at their heels like lice in the hair of the unclean, and like flies to corpses.

Assuredly ye shall know them by their words and deeds; therefore consider their honey-like words carefully, dissect their speeches diligently, and perceive how to expose their vile and deceitful ways.

For if thou doest this not, thou shalt have helped make expedient their devices, and only helped them with putting down another founding stone in their labour of erecting a mockery of life and society.

For with their discontentment they seek to undo the work of our forfathers. And by doing so they mock all the labours that our ancestors fought and died for! Even the valiant blood of our honoured dead, who have perished in this and that battle, this and that skirmish!

Wouldest thou with a clean conscience and with the fulness of thine heart ajoin with such miserable and despicable creatures?

I pray it be not so.

For assuredly we need above all unity and a set common goal for which to both banish such wasteful squabbles, and for to rebuild both ourselves, those who have lost, and the realms in which we dwell.

Be therefore subservient to the rulers that have been set over thee, be they secular or ecclesiastic. For they that rule not well will be removed on their own accord, and they that rule well shall do so till they breathe no more.

Trust, therefore, above all in the Light Eternal, and seek the unity that it desires, just as we ourselves so desire.

For it is said, "An house divided against itself cannot stand, but an house that is unified is like unto a mountain in strength."

Let us unite, both against enemies abroad and within, against squabbles and petty rivalries within or without. And in so doing, thus do the Light's good work.

On Wars and Their Necessity

There are some that enquire of the necessity to wage war, and indeed many that profusely argue that wars are against the will of the Holy Light.

True it is that war and death is not something that the Light standeth for, but neither does it stand for the utter and senseless slaughter such as was wrought by the Orcish Horde in the First War. Indeed there were then many a soldier, knight and lord that took up arms to fight against this great evil, and to aid them in that struggle there were even holy clerics from the Brotherhood of Northshire Abbey!

The whole calamity that took over my native country utterly united my people for to wage war on a foe, which wished to snuff out the entirety of the Kingdom, and for to sentence my people to eternal servitude or simple death.

Were our forebears, some of which even live this day, wrong to take up arms against a foe that worshipped daemons from the Twisting Nether?

I am inclined to think, Nay!

And verily the same applieth to those that have taken up arms against the vile cultists of the supposed old gods. Pagan and ruthless, benign and full of malice - these are their traits. And they preach the end of the world as we know it, for to be reborn in fire and anguish.

Nay, say I. Nay! The world may well end one day in fire and great quakes, but it shall not be for the eternal torment of us that adhere to the Light.

And likewise should we not just let them work their devices unhindered, to let them slaughter innocents that stand in their way by pure happenstance.

I say rather, Take up arms to fight such infidels! Wrest from them their lives!

Why? ye may ask. For it is said most wisely that, They that suffer no life to breathe should not breathe themselves!

It is assuredly better, beloved brothers and sisters, for such to exist not at all, but to rather be sent to receive their just reward for their cruel actions.

For life in itself is a precious and priceless thing. Howbeit it was never intended for life to so mercilessly rob it from others, purely for the blind servitude to those which hold it not in regard.

Beware such cultists, and beware those that seek to inflict immeasurable horrors upon our great kingdoms. Theirs is not life to keep, for they would intend to rob it from us all.

On the Wielders of Light

It is a confusing thing to most that we may encounter neophytes or acolytes that already possess the ability of wielding the Light, as though they had already been indoctrinated properly by first the lay-priesthood and then the ordained, as well as already having been to the mandatory monastery assignment for which to achieve the first communion. So too have I been

verily disturbed and confused by this fact. Nevertheless, it is of the utmost importance that we identify these strange cases, and swiftly embrace them and induct them into our fold, lest they in ignorance squander this most precious of gifts!

For all of us that are ordained remember fully to most details of how we went through our neophyte state into that of an acolyte, and I am assured that many of us also remember what awe we felt, when we were instructed to venture to one of the Church's monasteries, for there to accomplish our long and arduous training and education. For within the sacred halls of a monastery, it was hoped that the Light would eventually grace us with its first communion with which we would at the last be empowered to wield the Holy Light Eternal, gifted with its immeasurable ability to heal, mend and ward.

Therefore I can well imagine your confusion, my fellow ordained Brethren. Howbeit, we must not let this daunt us, for the Light may ever work in its own mysterious ways. All the same, as I have said afore, we must see to inducting these wayward sons and daughters of the Light into our fold, so that we may ensure that their ignorance of the Light and its virtues will not utterly destroy their spirit or that of those which they encounter.

For in these troubled times, the Light is required to shine ever more brightly for a world wrought with grief, anger, war and desolation. All too well and fresh in our memory is the destruction of our kin in the Hillsbrad Foothills, in Gilneas, in Theramore Isle. On and on the heinous crimes of the Horde cause us much turmoil. And how much more in those able to wield the Light, but who are unaware of what responsibility they wield?

We must act, beloved brothers and sisters! And the sooner, the better!

For let none doubt the magnitude of effect that the pious and loyal may bring into existence in the Grand Alliance and all its member nations. We must not forget the effect that our beloved and blessed Archbishop Alonsus Faol had on all, or that of his blessed disciple Uther the Lightbringer.

Let these great men serve as our example, now as ever, that we may stand together as one.

Epilogue

When we consider the Light, the world, the Great Dark, the nations, the peoples, all taken into account, we may find that all exceeds our understanding. And it may even be so that the wars and destruction cause our souls to suffer great anguish and gnawing doubt.

Remember in those days, beloved, that is such times that we must remember the Light's good graces above all things, and must take into account all the blessings that it hath bestowed upon us.

Think thereon, beloved. Where wouldest thou be if not for the Light? And be it not of a true and verified thing that when thou diest thou shalt be in the everlasting glory of the Light's Paradise?

Be therefore not afraid, beloved reader. And be of good cheer. All these terrible things that we encounter they are but fleeting things, brief compared to the Light's eternity, and in the same, inconsequential to the grand scheme of things. For we are judged according to our deeds and dealings. And if we have above all adhered to the Virtues, we shall know no fear. Nay, we shall know the blessed tranquility of the Light forevermore.

Grieve not too much over those that thou hast lost, for they are with the Light. Mourn not for too long on that which hath been lost, for the treasures in Paradise are incorruptible, indestructible and lasting for one generation to the next, forevermore.

And so too shall thy soul endure, eternally guarded by the Light, with which thou mayest find goodwill.

Rejoice therefore, beloved reader.

It is the humble wish of this lowly high priestess that thou mayest have found sufficient comfort and strength in hope and faith that the Light will and ever shall endure. For that which is eternal can never be quenched by the machinations of mortals, be they powerful or not.

For all mortal flesh is but temporary, a thing so easily swept aside, but the Light is never thus removed. And nor shall we when we stand together as one, beloved.

I therefore wish ye all prosperity, hope in faith, strength in unity, zeal in acknowledgement, comfort in knowledge, and blessings in the Holy Light.

Praise be to that which ever looketh over us and strengthenth our arm and heart.

May it likewise strenthen yours.

May it be so.

- Mother Ewyllyn S. Ashington.

Ewyllyn S. Ashington
Ewyllyn S. Ashington

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down